The semi-annual presentation of AFAM’s actions took place in the Senate on November 28th 2017
The results of 2017 initiatives and the 2018 outlook were presented to l’AFAM members and sponsors as well as partners.
The meeting took place under the aegis of the President of the Senatorial group of liaison, reflection, vigilance and solidarity with Christians and minorities in the Middle East, Senator Bruno Retailleau, as well as Senator Jacky Deromedi, godmother and sponsor of l’ AFAM’s initiatives.
President Retailleau confirmed, also on behalf of Senate President Gérard Larcher, the continued financial and moral support for l’AFAM’s initiatives, particularly for the major project of the construction of the “Village of Hope” in Duhok.
The actions presented are as follows:
Actions in place in 2017
- Initiatives intended to women:
- Creation of a sewing workshop and setting up of a training course, organization of a fashion show with the aim of launching a clothing line.
- Initiatives intended to youth:
- Sustainable development of the nursery and primary adaptation school in Shariya camp
- Creation of a carpentry workshop for young people.
- Initiatives at the cultural and sports level:
- Music workshops, songs and theatre
- Practice of football (organization of a tournament)
- Volleyball and basketball practice for young girls
- Initiatives in the health sector:
- Training of hygienists and establishment of a group of hygienists to develop a health mapping of refugees and displaced people in Shariya and Kabarto camps
- Establishment of a mobile care unit
- Prevention and oral screening and learning about hygiene rules for children, distribution of oral care kits
- English and French classes given to hygienists
Outlook for 2018
- Seeking funding for the creation of the Village of Hope for 460 orphaned children accompanied by 100 women victims of abuses
- Construction of a multidisciplinary health center – polyclinic
- Follow-up of 2017 actions and development of partnership, Search for financing to perpetuate the actions in progress
- Creation of a psychological reception center
- Kahzani coffee sale project
- Establishment of a large carpentry workshop (600m2 available in the Sharia camp)
- Creation of a radio station in Sharia camp, led by displaced youth residing in the camp, under the supervision of Babylon Media Group
After a successful year 2017, the year 2018 promises to be full of new projects to put in place. The effort continues and more than ever l’AFAM, thanks to the valuable support of its donors, stands alongside the population victims of barbarism!